Thursday, April 30, 2009

My new favorite thing: Gardening!

You may have read in previous blog posts and comments on other blogs that I want to have a garden this summer. Well, last weekend Maison and I went outside, looked at the grassy rectangle that had never before been a garden, and tackled it head on! Okay, I tackled, Maison "supervised." I wish I had taken a before picture, but trust me that this was just a regular patch of grass before. 2 hours at Home Depot and 3 hours of tilling (thanks for letting me borrow your tiller Mike and Jamie!!!) later and we were ready to landscape and plant. I had the bricks, wood, and circle paver at the house leftover from other projects so my only expenses were plants, seeds, string, weed block, mulch and a few other minor things. You may notice that the garden is laid out differently than most. My Mom had a book on square-foot gardening when I was growing up, and I knew it was a way of planning out a garden so you could plant more in a smaller space than if you planted in the normal rows. I looked it up online, and there is a great site that has all the information you'd ever need to create your own square foot garden (click here). I did not follow the steps exactly by building the boxes, etc., but I did use it to plan out my spacing. I am hoping to have a garden full of veggies in a couple months! We planted corn, green beans, yellow beans, tomatos, cucumbers, carrots, lettuce, green peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, onions, sage, oregano, thyme, and basil! I am really happy with how it has turned out so far. I'll keep you posted on our progress!

While I was planting, Maison wanted to have her own area to do with whatever she wanted. Here's her rectangle. Watch it be the only part of the garden to thrive! Notice all the seeds that are strewn about in her area. I have determined that Coco Bonbons rainshoes make the perfect garden shoes for kids too!

2 comments:

Jenni said...

That looks terrific! One of these summers I am going to get brave and try a garden! Keep us posted on the progress!

Unknown said...

that is so awesome! We have attempted container gardening, but nothing that grand. I hope everything does well!