Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Maison's Favorite Color

Maison's favorite color changes about every week. It was pink for a while, then she would choose two favorite colors: pink and red, blue and red, pink and white and so on. Right now she says her favorite color is orange because her Daddy's favorite color is orange. For a while she wouldn't let people choose the same color. If I said my favorite color was blue, no one else that she asked could say blue. Then she started labeling colors male or female; "pink is for girls" she'd say. There is so much more going on here than her choosing a favorite color. She is interacting with people, creating bonds or trying to be accepted by saying she likes the same thing, or asking what someone else's favorite color is and comparing that answer with hers. Now when Maison asks me that question, I say "I like so many colors I don't really have a favorite." I tell her it's okay to like more than one color. The reason I said that is because she started saying things like "Megan* (*names have been changed) is not my best friend today because Susie* is. I want her to know it is okay to have more than one friend. Does your child have a favorite color?

6 comments:

Minxy Mimi said...

My son does this too...almost exactly the same thing. I cant like the same colour. And he is also saying that about friends too.. I only want to play with Max (my other son) and I cant be friends with so and so... I think they just need to be told over and over they can be friends with more than on and like more than one colour!

Jenni said...

Mine do have favorites but they change a lot! Right now they are orange and blue!

Mine is alllllways purple!

Dee said...

Aww! So cute!

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Pink all the way!

Kim said...

She is tooo cute...
My favorite color for my daughter in China is purple..
Love the new look..

Susan said...

My daughter Rachel (Ting Ting) is going through an extreme pink phase right now! I've never been a big fan of pink, but it looks cute on her. I also like to get her clothes in purple or red. But it looks like we're going to have a pink princess (sometimes explorer) Christmas.